Wrist watch is a masterpiece of the great designers not only telling the time accurately but also bringing pride to its owner. In addition to its beauty and luxury, have you really understood your watch? Thus, insprirationwatch respectfully summarizes some basic knowledge of currently popular watch types with a hope of helping you understand them more thoroughly as follows:
What are the part names of watches?
Dial is the face of watch.
Dial can be made from : Color-coated steel, polished sharpening steel, Mother of Pearl
The type of dial can be
– Dial without calendar
– Dial with Day & Date Function
– Chronograph: second hand, minute hand, or tenths of a second for sport hours or indicators of day, date and month calendars
– Dial of the attached stone or diamond
window is the cover to protect the face of watch.
Dial Window of watch can be made from mica or sapphire glass or mineral glass
In fact, this is not glass but transparent synthetic resin often used for children’s watches. It is cheap as well as becomes blind and scratched without impossibly polishing when we have used it for a certain period.
2. Sapphire Glass:
As a transparent stone without being scratched except that you take diamond to rub Sapphire or Sapphire rubs against another Sapphire or the edge of rice leaf rubs against Sapphire-glass face. Besides, Sapphire glass is relatively breakable; therefore, it will be broken even in case of light collision. Sapphires are divided into three following types:
– Plated Sapphire: It is characterized by old-aged and anti-scratch glass installed for all medium-price watches. The watches worth several hundred thousands often use such glass.
– Monolithic Sapphire: It is characterized by the best one among the types of Sapphire glass. If a watch is installed with Sapphire glass of such type, you will see seven-color sparkling when bringing it to light. The genuine watches typically install such Sapphire glass. Obviously, the watches possessing monolithic Sapphire-made glass face are very expensive, possibly calculated by tens of millions or even hundreds of millions; therefore, it will generally be installed for “high-grade” watches. Monolithic Sapphire glass has its hardness up to 9 points, only preceded by diamond (10 points). Such glass possesses high scratch-resistance and possibly grinds concrete without being scratched.
* Notes while using:
– Don’t test hardness and scratch resistance of watch glass (Sapphire glass) with objects of the harder nature than Sapphire such as glass or diamond cutters, thereby leading to the damaged glass.
– Don’t wear a watch while doing the heavy work or tasks demanding multiple actions of collision with external objects such as repairing machines or working as a porter. Due to a fact that the case, glass and band are easily scratched and damaged.
– Avoid not letting the watch regularly be exposed to chemicals like soap, seawater, detergents and acids. To be more specific, they may damage not only a stone face of the plated Sapphire but also band and plated cases.
– Replacing the watch’s dial will reduce its water resistance; therefore, if mandatory, don’t replace it at watch repair shops without any closed rooms and hydraulic press instruments but well-known places full of instruments.
– Sapphire glass breakable in case of any collisions
– The genuine watches whether using the plated Sapphire glass or not are thickly plated and high-quality, so they have the long shelf-life before being scratched.
– From the advantages and disadvantages of Sapphire glass, the scientists invented a type of glass called Mineral Glass making use of one advantage (anti-scratch) and remedying one disadvantage (breakable) of Sapphire glass. Nevertheless, mineral glass is not as equal as Sapphire glass in terms of hardness.
– In fact, mineral glass possesses its relatively high hardness; therefore, it will limit possible scratches and be unbreakable in case of any unintentional collisions.
– Mineral glass is rarely scratched as well as becomes light and beautiful when being polished (cost of polishing: several tens of thousands).
From the above-shown strengths, watch brands have generally installed mineral glass for 80% manufactured watches and the knowledgeable people often select such mineral-glass watches.
Case is the cover of the watch. Case can be made from stainless steel, titanium, gold …
1. Inox steel case or stainless steel case
– Cases made from inox steel or stainless steel. Properties: Durable, anti-oxidated and anti-rust. Such case has a durable and difficultly discolored plating layer in case of color plating (possibly faded from three years and above).
– How to identify: With the watches made from inox case, steel quality is dull, lines are sharp, steel surface is smooth as well as there are dull ripples of processing instruments on steel surface (milling or casting). The case back of a watch is engraved with “Stainless Steel Case & Band” or “All Stainless”.
2. Other types of case
– Anti-scratch alloy case (Tungsten, Ceramic): having a core made from steel or titanium coated with alloy or stone (hi-tech ceramic)
– Titanium alloy case: Light, durable, anti-oxidated and dark gray
– Aluminum alloy case: Light, durable, anti-oxidated and light gray
IV. Band ( bracelet , strap )
Currently popular types of watch band as follows:
– Band made from inox or stainless steel: Durable, anti-oxidated and anti-rust
– Plated band: As a band made from ordinary steel or copper, polished plating. Such band will be oxidated over time.
– Titanium alloy band: Light, durable, anti-oxidated and light white
– Leather Band
– Ordinary leather band
– Crocodile leather band
– Other bands: Plastic band, synthetic fabric band, rubber band, silicone band, metal band and nylon band (fashion watches for youths or sport watches or stop watches)
As an element located between the case and the glass face of a watch and made from stainless steel or ordinary steel or other materials. Currently popular bezels as follows:
– Plain bezel
– Bezel attached to beads: The attached beads may be plastic beads, white stone, colored stone or jewels such as Sapphire or diamond.
– Anti-scratch bezel: made from Tungsten alloy or Ceramic
– Graduated bezel, compass direction (sport watches)
– Fixed bezel and turned bezel (female thread)
The watch back is made from stainless steel or Titanium alloy. There are several types of back as follows:
– Prizing back: Water resistance at a medium level; high water resistance for several special types
– Rotary back (screwing): High water resistance
– Screwing back: Water resistance at a medium level; high water resistance for several special types
– Glass back (See through back) screwing or pressing the gasket to see the internal movement: water resistance at a medium level.